Sunday, July 6, 2014

Trend: Crochet Trims

I don't know if it's just because I started to crochet or if this is actually a trend, but I've been seeing crochet trims (also called cluny lace) everywhere. I'm a fan. Sturdier and better looking than the cheap lace often used by clothing manufacturers. I'm trying to learn to crochet my own lace, but of course it would be easier to just buy a spool.


Crochet / Cluny trims

Crochet / Cluny trims featuring a kimono, the IT clothing item of the year. 


While this trend is popular enough that it's in stores, it's the easiest thing in the world to DIY.  Buying a few yards of cluny lace will set you back about $8-15 dollars. You can add it to anything. Here's an idea from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright that I really like:


Yeah the lace ribbons are cool, but I LOVE how it's around the brim of the hat. Glue would do the trick on a straw or paper hat. I can already see a black straw hat with crochet lace around its brim.

I feel like big sleeves are going to make a comeback in the next year or so, but I have nothing to back this up. But, back on topic, behold the trims on these sleeves. I feel like cluny lace has a gothic-architecture look to them. The below looks like a high-quality costume, but imagine how awesome if the lace was high quality or even hand-crochet. 

Here are some trims I found on Cheeptrims.com

Here are some I found on M&J (a brick+mortar store DEDICATED to trims in NYC, worth a visit)
But of course, if you crochet, the possibilities are endless. You can pretty much take any doily pattern and turn it into a trim:




Y'get the idea. What do you think? An interesting alternative to typical lace?

10 comments:

  1. I love a crochet trim; more variety than eyelet lace, and better quality than most true lace. I like the idea of putting it on a hat too.

    As a side note, I do like the kimono trend, but their sleeves are sadly never to my taste; I need something bigger and more like a true kimono.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crochet trims, exactly because they have this almost architectural structure and look. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. i´m definitely in love with this! finally i know how does this type of lace is called! i think crochet works well with goth, gothic lolita and a lot of other alternative styles pretty well. It looks stunning on scarfs and long dressed, have to find something like this in the thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to all! I love lace trim, I love Medieval Gothic dresses, although I generally steer away from stretch velvet as it tends to show any lumps and bumps! Now I really want a dress with black lace trim! And I have no money! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ties perfectly into the new maxi I just bought. So very pretty =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, what i thought when I saw your maxi dress post. guess we're in the same fashion hive mind!

      Delete