Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Corrective makeup: undereye bags

It was my birthday yesterday, and as my 30s continue to march on I'm starting to, um, look older. I'm still lucky to look great for my age, but it's kind of weird to be undergoing a second puberty (I'll spare you the details). But one thing I notice the most is the skin under my eyes getting darker and saggier. Regular foundation doesn't usually do the trick in hiding it:


So my current career is actually my second career--I used to be a hair dresser. In cosmetology school we were taught a bunch of corrective makeup, and the basic principles of color theory--complementary colors--that you used for 1st puberty (green tint for red acne-prone skin) apply to 2nd puberty as well. Basically orange tint to hide blue undereyes. With my skin color, which is pale, I went with an orangish coral color. There's really no need to spend a fortune on orange corrective makeup--I just used Revlon's cream blush in this shade:

The above is the real shade...for some reason my camera washes out all the colors. Somehow that orange is the same color as my NEON PINK nails, which look like a Barbie pink below. 

Just pat the product on your eye bags so it looks like you've got the strangest sunburn ever (the tint is as bold as the hand swatch...my phone is really washing out colors for some reason):

Then PAT on your usual concealer. PAT, do not smear it around with your finger or brush. Or blend it like the teens on YouTube do. If you "blend" it, you will just be wiping away all of the color you just put down, which means you will look exactly the same and you just wasted your time. Pat it into your skin. Like magic it will match the rest of your skin tone.
the concealer is Boi-ing in ivory, which was my Sephora birthday gift!
My final birthday look, so I don't leave you with an uggo picture of me!

19 comments:

  1. I have always had dark circles under my eyes. Even as a teenager. Thank you so, so much for this. I use regular foundation and under the eye concealer and it does nothing I am going to get some orangish coral blush now! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad I could help! Check out the comment below for another brand recommendation

      Delete
  2. 2nd puberty can go straight to hell lol.
    I use L.A. Colors Cover UP in Pure Orange, it's very decent for $3 and it's cruelty free if that's important to you.

    I hope you had a fun birthday-- you do look really great =D
    That dress in the first photo is killer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and for a highly pigmented cheap cruelty free LA Girl makes amazing concealers-- corrective ones too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the great recommendation! That's a better deal than what I paid for the Revlon blush

      Delete
    3. Oooh thanks for the recommendation. I am going to check it out.

      Delete
    4. I buy my LA Girl and extended LA colors stuff from this place called Twinkle World near my house, apparently a quick search doesn't yield $3 anywhere but ikatehouse.com online.
      I personally only know of one person who ordered from that, and they seemed to love it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this! My 2nd puberty came with more acne than my first one! LOL

    I've been awfully sleep deprived as of late so this great timing. I just got a huge palette of cream eye shadows (which are actually going to be used to make my fiance's beard into a rainbow next month) so I can use that to start experimenting with. :)

    Happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol my acne moved from my face to everywhere else...and I hear you on that sleep deprivation!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, thank you so much. I have been battling the under eye wrinkles and bags since I was a teen. I will try and give this suggestion a try. Ugh 2nd puberty has been hitting me hard as of late. PS-Happy Birthday and you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. I need to give it a try. I hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I'm right there with you going through the early 30's 2nd puberty.....I was not ready for it lol. So many things start to go earlier than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to try that! This month has been killing my sleep rhythm and the bags under my eyes are constantly growing. :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I wouldn't have guessed that you're older than 30, you look very young to me :)

    ReplyDelete